Saturday, May 21, 2016

Opportunity

There is always a story behind the picture. Good or bad.
Life is full, it is rich and it is busy. Striving to be intentional, sometimes, unintentionally, crams our schedules to full capacity. Juggling housework, homeschooling, school drop off and pick up, speech therapy for the little man, two part time home businesses, being a friend and a good sister/daughter/wife; we all have a lot. 
So, I'm guessing you can imagine my distress; after a 40 minute detour filled drive, when I found out I had mixed up the week my Bible study was meeting. It was the off week. Grrrrr!!! Completely my fault. Frustrating because I kept thinking of laundry or millions of other 'worthy' things I could've been catching up on instead of my expended effort for a nonexistent event.
 To top it off, as I was reeling from my scheduling error, the children's director at our church started talking to me, but she had mistaken me for someone else. Not sure who she had me confused with, but since I serve regularly on the team, I suddenly felt not so memorable. You know what I'm talking about. Seems a little self absorbed, but we all like to think that we are known well by people we interact with on a regular basis. Of course, I brushed it off like it was no big deal, but honestly, it stung a little. 

Thankfully, one of the sweet childcare workers sensed my distressed as I picked up my little guy 2 minutes after dropping him off. She kindly suggested that perhaps I should go do something fun with him since we now had been given this extra margin.
Granted, it took a few moments to readjust my thinking, but in the end, I decided to head to our local children's farmstead. As we drove out that way, I realized I never had taken the time to enjoy this special place with just him! We had such a simple, memorable time of course. Completely unplanned, yet exactly what we needed to do.
'Be very careful then how you live, not as unwise, but as wise, making the most of every opportunity.' Eph 5:15

No comments: